Friday, February 07, 2014

Without you, reunion dinner is not the same...

The past one week or more is one of the hardest time of my life. I don't know how to even start to describe it.
Have you ever felt that you are about to lose someone you love? Have you ever felt so helpless and just want to give up and cry?
When my dad was unwell due to flu and cough, we didn't take it seriously. We went from one GP to another, hoping he will be well soon before CNY. One problem lead to another. Cough, flu became less, but stomach became very tight and bloated. We thought it's wind because my dad has sensitive stomach and can't take certain medicine. So, the GP gave him gastric and wind pills. He became quite weak and not able to walk much. He's always tired and just want to lie down. His face was beginning to swell, but due to our ignorant, we thought it's normal water retention.
What scared me the most, he is hallucinating. Seeing things and mumbling stuff that wasn't there. When I see him like that, I broke down and cried.
Two days before CNY, he woke up, short of breath. We know we have to go to the A&E then. His face was swollen double the normal size, we can't even see his neck. He was admitted and there's water in his lungs, he can't urinate on his own and his sodium dropped way below the optimum numbers. Doc say his condition is quite serious. His heart is weak and swollen which might have caused the other problems.
The first few days in the hospital was the toughest, I can't help but cry sometimes when I am alone with him. We have our simple reunion dinner thinking of him.
Day by day, we just hope he will get better. We can't do much but accompany him and talk to him.
Thankfully, his condition improved. Eight days later, he is discharged.
It's a relief for all of us at home. I don't need to camp in the hospital anymore. However, we know that the journey from now on will not be an easy one. Dad will need a lot of support in his daily lifestyle. It will be tough but I know it will bring us closer as a family.
After these few days, nothing means more to me than the health of our loved ones. In my heart, I made a mental note to lead a healthy lifestyle, not only for myself but for everyone around me.
I hope it's not too late to wish everyone a happy CNY.

1 comment:

Su said...

Hugs Keef..
I couldn't agree more with you that nothing means more than health of our loved ones.
Cry if need to ... I do that alot too during the times like this.
I understand the feelings because I've sent 2 very precious people in my life to A&E before .. my mother who gave birth to me and my baby I gave birth to..
Perhaps God wanted us to learn to never take things for granted.
Here's to hoping ALL IS WELL for all of us and our love ones